Richard Grunke*** Cello Bow
Polish-born Richard Grunke began his apprenticeship in 1945 at the age of 15 in the shop of Edwin Herrmann of Schönlind and completed it in the workshop of H.R. Pfretzschner in the mid-to-late 1940's. After working in other shops for a number of years, he opened his own workshop in 1975. In 1996 he opened a new workshop with his sons, and he is still active today.
This bow is an excellent example of his work; precise, clean sounding, and easy to control. The amount of wear, as evidenced by the brand being mostly worn off and the condition of the button, shows that it was the “go to” bow for the previous owner.
Octagonal-section pernambuco bow with silver winding. The ebony frog is fully lined in silver with a mother-of-pearl slide and eyes. Finishing the bow is a three-piece button of silver and ebony with a pearl eye at the end of the button.
Weight fully haired 85.4 grams.