E. Martin Trade Violin, Saxony 1890-1910
click picture to enlarge
This violin was made in the Markneukirchen/Sachsen area, the hub of German violin making for centuries, by Wilhelm Ernst Martin. Also known as E. Martin, he was born in 1862 and died in 1907. E. Martin worked in Markneukirchen and studied making with E. Glaesel, specializing in making replicas of Lupot, Amati, and Stradivarius models. He was assisted by his two sons, Ernst Otto and Max Alfred, while he worked, and they carried on the business after his death until 1920. E. Martin Violins were imported by C. Bruno & Sons company of New York City from the 1880’s-1920’s. Bruno & Sons were known as makers and importers of European instruments and they were also in partnership with C.F. Martin, founder of Martin guitars, in the 1830’s. C.F. Martin moved from Germany to Nazareth, Pennsylvania in the late 1830’s. The instrument is in good condition with some natural playing wear in the varnish. Traditional spruce top and flamed maple back enrobed in and amber-brown varnish. We have gone over the entire violin and given the instrument a new set up.
Corpus 360.0mm., Major width 209.0 mm. – 167.0 mm., Rib Height 29.5 – 30.0 mm.
The instrument sound is inviting with enough power to make the violin stand out. The sound is articulate and slightly covered in clarity. The G and D strings have some depth and more of a focused tone while the treble side is brighter in clarity of sound. The instrument has good responsiveness off the strings and would also make a great fit for a fiddler looking for a powerful European violin with some age.