Alfred Knoll – Half Size Workshop Model #230 Violin Bow, circa 1980
This Knoll workshop bow was made around 1980 in Regnitzlosau, Germany in the workshop that was founded by Alfred Knoll in 1932. The shop is very close to the Czech border and 25 miles from the famous violin making town of Markneukirchen, Germany. The Knoll workshop produces many levels of bows for students, advancing players, and professionals. The workshop is still in operation today under the ownership of Alfred’s grandson, Gerald Knoll.
Mr. Judd collected all kinds of string instruments and bows in the 1970’s and 1980’s. This bow is about 40 years old and made it into his collection of hundreds of items discovered in the New York City/New Jersey area. The model #230 bow is a pernambuco specie, nickel mount, fully- lined octagonal section bow stamped: ALFRED KNOLL. The frog is Parisian-eye and the bow has a three-piece endscrew. The bow will make a nice little stick for the younger ½ size violin player.
Weight fully haired 47.7 grams.