WM Lewis & Son – 4/4 Size Cello Bow ca. 1960
WM LEWIS & SON
William Lewis (1835-1902), bow maker from Germany, founded one of the largest violin houses in the United States in 1874. Originally, the business named was Lewis, Newell, and Gibbs, his partners when he first opened. Later the music store was renamed the Chicago Music Company. The name finally changed to William Lewis & Son when Frederick Lewis joined the firm. Bows were made in the Markneukirchen area of Germany and imported to America branded “WM. LEWIS & SON.” The pernambuco cello bow has the traditional Lewis brand and is round-section with nickel silver fittings. The ebony frog is Parisian eye, fully-lined with a two-piece end screw. This is a good German bow for a beginner player.
• Pernambuco specie, round in section
• Full size cello bow
• Nickel silver mounted in an ebony frog
• German made ca. 1960
Weight fully haired 80.3 grams.