H.R. Pfretzschner Workshop Cello Bow Markneukirchen, Germany c. 1930 – CURRENTLY OUT ON TRIAL –
In 1914 H.R. Pfretzschner stepped down as the head of his atelier, leaving his sons a well operated business. H.R. studied bow making in Paris and was instrumental in introducing contemporary French bow making to Germany in the mid to late 1800’s. Hermann Richard Pfretzschner, along with his employees and his sons Hermann and Berthod Pfretzschner, made impressive bows. The craftsmanship and quality of this shop was what other bow making shops strove to emulate. This elegant bow comes to us from the Pfretzschner workshop and was made in the early 1930’s. The family brand is in the standard area on the stick and “GERMANY” branded on the bottom flat behind the frog. Pfretzschner bows were renowned and were owned and played by virtually all the top players for over a century. The octagonal stick tapers to a tastefully carved head and the frog features a Parisian eye model ebony frog with mother-of-pearl eyes and slide. The silver-mounted bow is finished with a silver three-piece button with a 3.0 mmm ebony piece in the middle of the cap. This will make a fine bow for a player looking to play on a little history and German craftsmanship from the golden age of German bow making.
Weight fully haired 79.0 grams.