E. Martin Violin, Markneukirchen, Germany Circa 1890-1910
click picture to enlarge
This violin was made in Markneukirchen, the hub of German violin making for centuries, by Wilhelm Ernst Martin. Also known as E. Martin, he was born in 1862 and died in 1907. E. Martin worked in Markneukirchen and studied making with E. Glaesel, specializing in making replicas of Lupot, Amati, and Stradivarius models. He was also assisted by his two sons, Ernst Otto and Max Alfred, while he worked, and they carried on the business after his death until 1920. E. Martin Violins were imported by C. Bruno & Sons company of New York City from the 1880’s-1920’s. Bruno & Sons were known as makers and importers of European instruments and they were also in partnership with C.F. Martin, founder of Martin guitars, in the 1830’s. C.F. Martin moved from Germany to Nazareth, Pennsylvania in the late 1830’s. Our Strad model Martin violin contains both the lyre logo and the monogram just below the button. The instrument is in very good condition with beautiful traditional woods and a slightly darker antiqued amber/brown spirit varnish. We have restored one saddle split on the top plate and completely set up the violin with new pegs, bridge, sound post, chin rest, and tail-piece.
Corpus 358.5 mm., Major width 207.0 mm. – 167.0 mm., Rib Height 30.0 – 31.0 mm.
The sound is bold and strong, with a beautiful bottom end that is not too bright. The bass end has some guts, and the treble side holds its own which is beautiful and sweet in tone. The Strad model has always been the better sounding of the two Cremonese models Martin made and this one is beautiful. A perfect violin for the player looking for an older European violin, one that is well-made and has a beautiful sound.